PROGRAM: Fallon Tribal Health Center GRADE: GS-19
SUPERVISOR: Associate Director – Clinical Services RANGE: $27.65 – $33.02 (hourly)
FLSA STATUS: Exempt Non-Exempt Public Safety TYPE: Regular Full-Time
This position performs medical laboratory tests, procedures, and analyses to provide data for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases and for supervising and coordinating activities of the medical laboratory at the Fallon Tribal Health Center (FTHC).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the development and oversight of all laboratory operations, including providing oversite and supervision of medical laboratory technicians.
- Ensures technical proficiency and training documentation of all Laboratory Technicians and resolves issues related to competency of laboratory services personnel.
- Responsible for the ordering and procurement of laboratory equipment and supplies.
- Evaluates the performance of tests, quality control, safety, compliance with regulations and reporting of results and provides oversight of lab technical issues and resolution of complicated or unusual issues.
- Responsible for maintaining a current Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) Certificate and overseeing a quality Proficiency Testing program that is commensurate with the services offered and working to maintain a moderate and/or high complexity lab status.
- Resolves technical problems and ensures remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from established policies and procedures.
- Verifies the test procedures performed and establishes laboratory test performance characteristics, including the precision and accuracy of each test.
- Develops, implements and monitors a quality control program for FTHC laboratory testing appropriate for testing performed.
- Monitors and evaluates compliance with Federal, State and local regulations and adheres to accreditation and compliance standards/guidelines, including preparation of site inspections (i.e. accreditation, CLIA)
- Assists in the development and implementation of policies and procedures that pertain to medical laboratory testing and issues.
- Consults with medical providers regarding laboratory science and technical issues as needed.
- Coordinates and conducts education and training programs for medical staff and clinic personnel.
- Maintains a professional, organized, and clean working environment by following organizational policies, guidelines, and safety standards.
- Evaluates the performance of tests, quality control, safety, compliance with regulations and reporting of results at each laboratory site.
- Oversees the ordering of tests reagents, controls and other materials to ensure efficient use and appropriate inventory.
- Responsible for all aspects of the Electronic Health Record program as it pertains to the laboratory including: file maintenance and test reporting; monitoring appropriate test and CPT codes); overseeing the review of data reports as needed; monitor the accuracy of data entry of waived testing results; work with appropriate EHR personnel for procedure implementation and troubleshooting in relation to the FTHC’s medical laboratory.
- Assures proper calibration and function of all medical laboratory equipment and monitoring equipment maintenance including equipment service contracts and maintaining logs of all preventative maintenance and remedial action for each piece of equipment
- Assists with the relationship between the FTHC and any external and/or reference laboratories, including but not limited to: negotiating contract pricing; monitor monthly invoices to verify that contract pricing; interact with reference lab regarding matters of service such as specimen pick up and transportation, accessioning of specimens, rejection of specimens, problems with results, etc.
- Other job related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Graduate of a four-year university or college with a bachelor’s degree and possess or be able to acquire an appropriate license as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) (preferred); OR
American Society for Clinical Pathology Certification (ASCP) as a Medical Technologist (MT) or comparable certification (i.e. military or other professional certification)
- At least four (4) years’ experience in any of the above mentioned areas may be accepted if they can allow the FTHC to pursue and maintain a high complexity lab; and
- At least two (2) years’ experience in hospital or clinic lab with supervisory responsibilities.
- Experience in Healthcare Infection Prevention.
- Must have or be able to obtain CPR or BLS certification within 3 months of hire and maintain such.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
(To perform this position, an individual must be able to perform the requirements listed below which are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Advanced personal computer skills including email, word processing, spreadsheet, database, graphics, etc.
- Experience with Electronic Health Record (EHR), Greenway preferred, and Laboratory Information System (LIS) is essential; two (2) years preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference and to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to define problems, collects data, establishes facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Must be able to work with American Indian people and be sensitive to their culture.
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures. Report all unsafe activities to supervisor.
- Maintain strict confidentiality and safeguard the privacy of patients in common areas of the clinic.
- Sedentary with generally lifting not more than 10 lbs. maximum and occasionally lifting and/or carrying such articles as ledgers, files and small items.
- May need to participate in outdoor lab-related events with possible adverse weather conditions.
PLEASE COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AT FPST.ORG/EMPLOYMENT/ TO APPLY.
POSITION CLOSES ON AUGUST 8, 2021 AT 5:00 P.M.