|Program:||Fallon Tribal Health Center||Salary Grade:||GS – 10 or GS – 12|
|Supervisor:||Clinical Registered Nurse||Salary Range:||GS-10: $17.22 – $20.56 or
GS-12: $19.38 – $23.14
|FLSA Status:||Exempt Non-Exempt Public Safety||Position Type:||Choose an item.|
The Medical Laboratory Technician performs laboratory analysis, evaluates laboratory results and reports results promptly and accurately; recognizes and solves basic laboratory problems; and assists in maintenance of laboratory systems in care and treatment of individuals served by the Fallon Tribal Health Center (FTHC).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees the daily functions of the FTHC medical laboratory, including operational hours and ordering supplies, and ensures compliance with applicable federal and state laws.
- Draws and collects specimens for patients and prepares the specimens for routine testing on-site or packages them for referral to the reference laboratory.
- Performs/monitors limited routine tests in hematology, chemistry, urinalysis and serology.
- Reports laboratory test results to the ordering provider in a timely manner.
- Monitors when referral laboratory reports are sent and returned.
- Performs routine laboratory testing available, within compliance and under the supervision of a physician, nurse practitioner or registered nurse.
- Assist with daily identification of scheduled patients whom are due for preventative and chronic care labs to ensure maximum packing of visit and all needs are addressed.
- Follow procedures established for universal precautions and sterile techniques.
- Clean and prepare the lab treatment room on a daily basis or more often, as necessary.
- Utilize current computer software programs to identify patient needs.
- Enters information into electronic health record as appropriate.
- Ensure the accuracy of the laboratory tests performed in the lab by performing and verifying validity of Quality Control in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Perform preventative maintenance on the lab equipment according to established maintenance schedule/procedure and troubleshoots all instruments when problems arise.
- Verify instrument function by performing quality control and calibration when necessary and/or required and documents all repairs, replacement, and maintenance of laboratory equipment on instrument log.
- Assist with restocking of supplies in the lab and medical area, making copies, faxing, shredding, gathering monthly workload data and record filing.
- Maintain an appropriate inventory of laboratory supplies, forms, patient handouts, and routine equipment.
- Safely and proficiently operates equipment within level of expertise.
- Provides patient education material and information as directed.
- Alert appropriate FTHC personnel to problems and difficulties with the laboratory area or patient care issues, as circumstances may warrant.
- Attend staff and other meetings, in-services, and other events as directed by supervisor.
- Follow HIPPA guidelines for maintaining confidentiality with all patient related information.
- Other job duties as assigned by the supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of laboratory functions in a clinical setting.
- Working knowledge of specialized laboratory testing and reporting equipment.
- Knowledge of Universal Precautions, Safety Data Sheets (SDS), generally accepted safety practices and quality control practices for lab services.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced environment, to interact positively with individuals in distress, and to deal appropriately with potential medical emergencies.
- Demonstrates good public relations and customer service skills.
- Proven ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Knowledge of computer applications.
- Ability to work independently under general administrative and medical direction.
- Ability to prioritize tasks without compromising quality patient care or service.
- Maintain strict confidentiality and safeguard the privacy of patients in common areas of the clinic.
- Demonstrate tact, courtesy, and respect in communication and interaction with patients, visitors, and staff and with outside agencies and programs.
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions)
- Associate Degree level and/or successful completion of an Associates of Applied Science.
- For a GS-12 position: Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) Certification through accredited entity; or
For a GS-10 position: Two (2) years of specialized experience performing laboratory tests/examinations in a medical/clinical setting.
Fallon Paiute-Shoshone Tribe and Native American/Indian Preference: Employment preferences to members of the Fallon Paiute-Shoshone and to members of federally-recognized Indian Tribes shall apply to this position pursuant to the Tribe’s Personnel Policies. Persons of Tribe and/or Indian ancestry and wish to claim these employment preferences should submit a copy of the Tribal Enrollment Card/Certification indicating the name of the Tribe they are enrolled with.
U.S. Veteran’s Preference: Preference to opportunities to veterans honorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces shall apply to this position pursuant to the Tribe’s Personnel Policies.
Equal Opportunity Employer: The Fallon Paiute-Shoshone Tribe does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national original, sex, religious preference, age, handicap, marital status, political preference, genetics or membership or non-membership in any employee organization, except as allowed by Federal and/or Tribal Law.
Drug Free Workplace: The Fallon Paiute-Shoshone Tribe is a drug-free workplace. All employees are subject to a pre-employment and random drug screens.
Driving Record: Employees who drive tribal vehicles must have a valid Nevada Driver’s License, be insurable under the Tribe’s vehicle insurance program, and must also provide a DMV printout annually.
Background Checks: All employees must be able to pass a background check per the Tribe’s Background Check Policy.
Position Description Limitations: This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the Tribe and the employee, and is subject to change by the Council as the needs of the Tribe and the requirements of the job change. This position description is not intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by any employee in this position and is not intended to reflect all duties performed within the position