PROGRAM: Stillwater Tribal Senior Center GRADE: GS-8
SUPERVISOR: Community Health Nurse RANGE: $14.43 – $17.23 (hourly)
FLSA STATUS: Exempt Non-Exempt Public Safety TYPE: Regular Full-Time
This position is responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating and implementing a variety of services to enhance the quality of life and the well-being of the tribal member senior citizen and all senior citizens residing on tribal lands and activities/programs designed to meet the needs of the aging population.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops a monthly meal plan for each month in consultation with the supervisor and the FTHC Nutritionist.
- Prepares well-balanced and nutritious meals based on the meal plan, which enable seniors to remain healthy and well-fed.
- Prepares up to two meals per day and packaged meals for weekends/holidays. In lieu of a second meal, healthy snacks shall be available to elders at the Senior Center.
- Ensures all meals and food items meet the dietary needs and desires of the elder population, including ethnic, vegetarian, and low-fat alternatives.
- Assists in developing and implementing procedures for ordering, purchasing, receiving, storing, inventorying, and issuing food products that ensure the prevention of fraud and abuse, protection of food and food preparation equipment and areas from contaminants, insects, and rodents, and the safe and sanitary handling and storage of food.
- Works with the Community Health Nurse in implementing procedures to obtain elder input into the planning and evaluation of the content and quality of the meals and service provided in order to ensure elders have input into meal planning and are satisfied with the center food service.
- Responsible for ensuring kitchen is cleaned up at the end of each shift according to established cleaning and sanitation standards.
- Responsible for appropriate use of facility supplies and equipment to minimize loss, waste, and fraud.
- Responsible for maintaining food preparation pars set forth and keeping track of the food for proper rotation by checking for correct labeling and dates.
- Shops for groceries and kitchen supplies and maintains an inventory of supplies.
- Adheres to FDA sanitation and safety requirements and the IHS Environmental Health Survey.
- Places items such as flatware, fruit juice, sugar, cream, milk and butter on tables.
- Collects and stacks dirty dishes and returns to kitchen; washes dishes and cleans work area, tables, cabinets and ovens.
- Collects and places garbage and trash in designated containers.
- Other job related duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Minimum high graduate or equivalent.
- Professional training through a culinary education or at least 2 years of working in a fast-paced dining restaurant/catering facility required.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience working in a supervisory capacity in a kitchen.
- Have a current Food Handlers card and SafeServ certificate (or obtain one within 30 days of hiring) and maintain such.
- Must have or be able to obtain CPR, First Aid, and AED or BLS certification within 3 months of hire and maintain such.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions)
- Act as an approved Mandatory Reporter of suspected incidents of child/elder abuse or neglect.
- Cooking for large groups of people and training in nutrition.
- Knowledge and experience in large quantity and progressive cookery.
- Ability to assist in menu implementation through proper and accurate ordering of supplies and food stuff.
- Knowledge of the use and care of basic kitchen equipment.
- Knowledge and sensitivity to the needs of the elderly.
- Knowledge of Food Program Requirements, ability to judge food quality, knowledge of quantity food buying and cooking, use of different types of kitchens utensils and equipment.
- Able to read and write clearly and perform basic math.
- Evidence of no pulmonary T.B.; Evidence of Hepatitis and COVID-19 Immunization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of elder’s nutritional requirements
- Demonstrated ability to follow federal nutrition program guidelines and to plan and implement a senior nutrition program that is compliant with federal grant management guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to work with Native American people in culturally diverse environments; knowledge of/respect for Fallon Tribal traditions and values; heartfelt commitment to the health and welfare of Tribal and other elders.
- Maintain strict confidentiality and safeguard the privacy of elders.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit, stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, push and pull items weighing 50 pounds or less. The position requires manual dexterity; auditory and visual skills, and the ability to follow written and oral instructions and procedures.
PLEASE COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AT FPST.ORG/EMPLOYMENT/ TO APPLY.
POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED.